Job Title: Technical Writer (API)
Type: Contract (6 months)
Location: St. Catharine's, ON L2M 5V6
Our client is currently looking for an API Technical Writer to add into their growing organization. The Technical Writer will be focused on creating internal and end user resources that document how to use the features and functions to manage back-of-house operations for their point of sale (POS) software. The documentation will be made available in a web-based article-based format to provide a modern and easy-to-navigate collection of online help resources, and printed format. Documentation needs will span both existing and new functionality within the system.
Role and Responsibility
Duties and tasks include, but are not limited to:
Creating End-User Documentation
- Interpreting existing business documentation and functional specifications to understand the key end user information, in co-ordination with internal resources (Developers, Training, Business Analysts, etc.) as needed.
- Considering the most effective formats for delivering content, such as general overviews, how-tos, detailed guides, and FAQs.
- Reviewing existing resources to determine if they can be reused or if they need to be recreated.
- Creating and/or revising content to ensure it is concise yet engaging and accessible to end users with non-technical backgrounds.
- Proof-reading documentation.
Providing Recommendations and Expertise
- Working closely with the software development team, providing input into the design of the online knowledgebase as appropriate.
- When possible, providing insight into industry standards and best practices for creating and maintaining documentation.
You should be:
- Experienced writing technical software documentation that targets a non-technical user audience.
- Obsessive about consistency and accuracy, with high attention to detail across all areas of work.
- Advanced level of experience using Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Visio, Word) to compose technical collateral for software applications and application programming interfaces (APIs).
- Hands-on familiarity using Adobe Creative Cloud applications (Illustrator, Photoshop) for basic image manipulation.
- Able to thrive and produce high-quality outputs in a timely fashion with limited oversight.
- Adaptable and able to maintain focus in a fast-paced environment where things can change quickly.
- Open-minded and proactive, focused on resolving problems and delivering results.
- A team player with good collaboration skills.
- Able to seek feedback and receive constructive criticism.
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a technical writer creating web-based resources; preference will be given to candidates with experience in a SaaS or web-based technology environment.
- Capacity to produce excellent, clear, clean, and accessible writing.
- Experience conducting interviews and collaborating with technical resources in a software development environment.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to understand and communicate complex technical topics to non-technical stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office.
- Experience with documentation publishing software.
- Good experience with graphics manipulation tools.
- Hands-on familiarity using knowledgebases (SharePoint) and learning management systems (Moodle) preferred.
- Flexibility of working hours may occasionally be required based on business and departmental needs.
- Minimal physical demands, with most time spent sitting/standing in an office environment; manual dexterity required for computer usage.
- Significant visual and mental concentration.