Job Title: Senior Full Stack Engineer (Remote)
Location: Toronto, ON
Start Date: August 9, 2021
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday/ 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM
(This is a full-time, remote, role that requires periodic on-call work)
Salary Range: $110,000.00 TO $130,000.00
Reports to: IT Manager
Senior Full Stack Engineer
Client is an Industry 4.0 automation software company that focuses on enabling interaction and data capture of connected systems within the domain of manufacturing. Our products are built to bring efficiency and automation to customer manufacturing facilities around the world.
Client has been conceived and built in cooperation with leading global Tier 1 & Tier 2 automotive suppliers. Our customers use our fast, modern interfaces to gain real-time visibility of the events happening on the shop floor. Comprehensive capture of performance, quality and maintenance interactions provide the necessary insight to focus on continuous improvement while ensuring enterprise systems like ERP stay in sync.
About the Role
We’re looking for a full stack engineer to join our diverse Engineering team who is responsible for all aspects of our on-premise virtual solution including maintenance, automation, and new feature development of a highly reliable and performant platform. In addition, you will play a vital role in assisting our operations team dedicated to implementing and providing support to our customers.
For this job you will need to have solid technical capabilities along with a strong self-starting, dedicated mentality. As a senior member, you will be an integral part of the Engineering team, providing depth and breadth of technical expertise in addition to mentoring junior members. You will make our product and solutions better by bringing a methodical approach and demonstrating an exacting attention to detail that maintains the integrity of our code base.
This is a full-time, remote, role that requires periodic on-call work.
What You’ll Do
- Learn our Domain: You’ll learn about the manufacturing sector and automation initiatives within the industry. Our customers are some of the largest and most progressive companies in the world and it is our job to support their technological advancements while ensuring the robots do not become self aware.
- Learn our Stack: While you are learning the domain, you will also become familiar with our tech stack, code base and tools.
- Collaborate: You will work closely with your engineering teammates, Operations and Product by contributing to architectural, design, process and support discussions. Thoughts and questions that can improve and strengthen our product or processes are always welcome for open discussion.
- Develop: You will participate in the development of our product using modern software engineering practices and Agile methodologies.
What we're looking for:
- Strong Foundation: You have a bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent training/experience.
- Experience: You have 8+ years of experience working in a professional software engineering environment or other equivalent experience.
- Product-minded Engineer: You will be building features while fully understanding how they add customer value.
- Back-End Skills: You have experience with back-end development using languages such as Ruby.
- OS Skills: You have experience developing for and on *nix based platforms.
- Team player: You're a natural team player, and you can communicate with other non-technical team members with ease.
- Pragmatist: Your solutions are not ivory towers, but driven by context and coherence.
- Thinker: You are logical, can evaluate a problem quickly, abstract it, and propose creative solutions.
- Self starter: The problems you will be challenged with will not always come with all the information upfront. You proactively unblock yourself to get the task done.
- Remote worker: As a remote worker with team members located globally, your flexibility is essential to accommodate time zones differences and business needs.
- On-Call Support: You’re willing to participate in our on-call rotation to provide our customers with outstanding technical support.
- Communicator: You’re an effective communicator and bring strong feedback skills to your team and proactively “manage up”. You’re proficient in English and have
exceptional verbal and written communication skills honed for both synchronous and asynchronous collaboration.
- Adaptable: You’re comfortable with ambiguity and, while flexible, bring structured processes to deal with change and new requirements emerge.
- Bonus points:
- Knowledge of / interest in the automotive manufacturing sector
- You favour regular, incremental progress over perfection.
- You strive for continuous learning and improvement for yourself and your team.
- You’re good at negotiating the ambiguity inherent in a small, rapidly-growing company: quickly adapting to change, making conscious tradeoffs when time is limited, solving problems creatively in the face of conflicting priorities, and leveraging best practices.
What the timeline looks like:
- First month:
- Get to know the members of your team
- Gain a deep understanding of our product through our training program
- Learn about our current development practices and methodologies
- Setup your local development environment
- Learn and understand our product architecture and get to know the code
- Begin participating in smaller development initiatives
- First quarter:
- Continue gaining an in depth knowledge of our codebase
- Take on increasingly complex engineering tasks
- Begin participating in design and architectural discussion and decisions
- Gain familiarity with our monitoring and diagnostic tools
- Join the engineering team’s on-call rotation to provide 2nd level technical support for customers
- First year:
- Play the role of technical engineering lead for larger projects
- Help guide engineering designs and decisions using your robust knowledge of our codebase
- Contribute to improving our development process and methodologies
- Have a strong voice in our planning and estimating meetings
- Mentor junior engineers
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. We welcome those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.