REVISED REQUIREMENT: April 12th
Phone call with President, VP People & Culture, Madonna and Danay
Matt from 3Quotes referred us to this client
Client: Upper Canada Child Care
Web site: www.uppercanadachildcare.com
Position: IT Manager
Type: 12 month contract, paid as a salary
Benefits: Health, dental (will be discussed in interview)
Vacation: 3 weeks, negotiable
Placement Fee: 20%
Location: Richmond Hill
Work Address: 30 Fulton Way #8, Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1J5
# of people at this location: 40
When did it open: The interviewed someone that Matt referred in November but decided not to go ahead as he was not personable and came in from a CIO background.
Interviews: 1 from Matt and they rejected him – too stuffy, not personable,
(will get more info around this from HR)
Interviewed Peter Scott from us but felt that he would be too senior and would get bored.
Start date: Immediately or with 2 weeks’ notice
Why opened: new role
Reports to: Jim McGowan, President (owner)
# on reports: 1
Work Hours: 9-4 or 9-5
Remote Work: After the first 3-6 months there will be the option to work some days remote. Could be 1-2 days offsite and will be discussed in interview
Travel: no travel to sites as it will be done by IT Admin-
Interview process: First interview with Jim McGowan, President and Kate Marr,
VP People and Culture
2nd interview potentially with Matt Eyeman (3 Quotes)
Feedback SLA: HR is agreeable to providing feedback within 24-48 hours
This is a new position. The President/owner is not technical. He needs someone that can talk IT in layman’s terms. They don’t want someone so super technical that they make them feel intimidated. They need to be okay with stupid questions. President is less concerned about 20 years experience then he is about cultural fit/personality. The person needs to know the high-end stuff but can adapt to making the solution 90% there, but everyone is happy – need to be adaptable to the company’s needs if the company does not want to go to the max.
We are looking for someone with IT management experience, along with experience working with managed service partners/outsourcers. Someone who is outgoing, team player and is positive. Their managed service provide is Jolera. They will provide a ticketing service and infrastructure support (servers, network, firewalls, backups) anti-virus and O365 related support, troubleshooting and chance management (upgrades, moves, adds, installations, etc. Jolera will be providing reports to the President and the IT/MIS Manager will need to have him/her understand the reports and provide direction to him.
With respect to soft skills, they are very focused on the company culture (will get more info from HR around this). This person must be a team player and bring a positive influence.
Additional Notes from Danay from our call with the client:
Had a call with the client, they are looking for a full-time resource that will review what the have, make sure it makes sense and if not, make recommendations. This role will probably be full-time but they want to try it out for 12 months to make sure. This will be a 12 month term placement, they will get benefits and vacation.
Will take a hands-on Infrastructure PM, Sr level person from a small business or a Sr. Systems Admin that was in an environment that they made big decisions.
Someone from Small companies or retiring would fit. No one from big companies. They are not looking for the recommendation to bring the IT inhouse. They are open to consolidating vendors
Based on this new information we can reopen the role and provided new SLA
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in IT Management or related experience
- Experience working with an outsourcer/managed service provider
- O365 experience/ exposure.
- Have been a part of Business/ IT transformation initiatives.
In consultation with key users and senior management, identify the organizations’ IT/MIS needs and requirements to support their business strategy. Assist with IT strategic planning, as well as identifying, selecting and deploying new technology to support organizational goals and objectives.
- Assist with the planning, development, and management of all IT services, programs, and support throughout the enterprise.
- Develop a strategic plan and budget for the acquisition and implementation of the relevant hardware and software.
- Plan, organize, control and evaluate IT/MIS operations.
- Manage and analyze IT support desk tickets and associated vendor support requirements.
- Mentor and supervise an IT Administrator.
- Manage the relationship with our Managed Service Provider- Jolera.
- Design, develop and implement systems, policies and procedures.
- Research, design, and implement the appropriate technologies to support and improve corporate communications, access to information, and end-user productivity.
- Assist with capacity planning for network bandwidth, storage requirements, messaging and collaboration, and other applications.
- Oversee project management for IT-related undertakings, including clear capture of business requirements, provision of functional deliverables, milestone planning, and project post mortems.
- Ensure that applicable project management practices are followed throughout project lifecycles.
- Ensure security of data, network access and back-up systems.
- Stay informed on new or emerging trends and technologies that provide clear benefits to the organization, business partners, and/or customers.
- Identify problematic areas and implement solutions in time.
- Work within budget and ensure cost-effectiveness.
- Develop and recommend training requirements in the use of IT systems and hardware.
- Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or similar and relevant field
- Working experience as an IT manager or relevant experience.
- Excellent knowledge of technical management and information analysis, and computer hardware/software systems.
- Expertise in data management.
- Hands-on experience with computer networks, network administration and installation.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a combination of technical and management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to prioritize and be flexible in adapting plans to changing circumstances.
- Good judgement and evaluation skills.
- Good communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to explain technical concepts and theories to non-technical audiences.
- Highly effective project management skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Leadership attributes and team player.